Sunday, February 22, 2009

This week's recipes

Breakfast burritos with scrambled tofu, beans and rice. A vegan friend turned me onto this tofu recipe, and I became a bit obsessed with the idea of making it. When I finally realized how excellent this would be in a breakfast burrito, I ran out to get the ingredients right away.

Vegan peanut butter and chocolate rice krispie treats. I substituted brown rice syrup and sugar for marshmallows. I topped them with melted dark chocolate chips. I was pleasantly surprised at how well these turned out, and even more pleased that they tasted just like Whatchamacallit candy bars. These are seriously good, do try them.

Peanut-miso noodles with tofu, broccoli and zucchini. I loosely followed this recipe, but ad libbed quite a lot. This came out pretty well, but I find that I'm not a big fan of peanut sauce on noodles. I much prefer it on veggies or tofu alone. I used the leftover tofu, noodles, miso and scallions to make homemade 'instant' miso soup for weekday work lunches.

Aloo Gobi Masala. Yummy indian dish involving cauliflower, potatoes and peas in a nicely spiced tomato sauce. Served over rice. I added a lot more spices than called for to get a more authentic Indian flavor. I suspect our ground spices in the US are not as fresh and potent as those in India.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog. Those vegan recipes look amazing!