Sunday, September 9, 2007

Tchektchouka

My friend Sharon surprised me with 7 bell peppers last week--all home or locally grown. It's been a very pepper-friendly few weeks for me. I decided to make one my my favorite Moroccan dishes: Tchektchouka. It's ingredients are actually quite similar to the Kadai Paneer I made the other day--the main focus is peppers and tomatoes. However, with a change of some of the minor ingredients, you end up with a completely different thing.

It's actually very easy to make.

Tchektchouka

4-5 Bell Peppers (red and green)
1 large can chopped tomatoes
1-2 cloves garlic
1 T chopped parsley
1 t ground cumin
1 pinch cayenne (optional)
1 t ground paprika
2 T olive oil
3 T vinegar (white wine, rice, or similar)
salt and pepper

1. Place the peppers under your over broiler, rotating, until the skin begins to blacken (10-15 mins). Remove from oven, and allow to cool slightly in a bag (I've heard paper or plastic--but don't melt the plastic). When cool enough to handle, remove the skin and seeds, and chop into bite sized pieces.

2. In a large pot, combine the tomatoes, roasted peppers, crushed garlic, parsley, and all spices. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put on medium heat, stirring occasionally until everything is cooked, and most (or all) of the liquid has evaporated. (With canned tomatoes, you tend to have more juice, so don't worry too much about the liquid.)

3. Stir in the oil and vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve hot or cold with bread (pita will do if you don't have a Moroccan bread source).

Enjoy!

No comments: